June football

This forum is for chat about Sport, unsurprisingly.

June football

Postby Shoddyrob » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:37 am

A week until the Euros. Can't wait

I know it's old news now that G Nev is a great bloke, but what a great bloke

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... le-england

The misconception about Neville is that he did not enjoy his international career. Sitting in his England tracksuit, he reflects: "It hurt, absolutely, because it's a huge regret, a disappointment, a huge missed opportunity. You never like looking back and thinking [blows his cheeks out] … and that's what it is with England. You look back and think: 'If only we had done this, or done that.'" Yet England's failures would not hurt if he did not cherish his own involvement so much. "It was a completely different feeling to playing for United even though my life was United, as you know. Playing for England was a special thing."

Even when I didn't like him as a Man United player and couldn't stand England I always liked him as an England player, one of the very few who really seemed to give a shit
Shoddyrob
Yordan Letchkov

Re: June football

Postby yeah and what » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:15 am

He's right though.

Euro 2000 - Disgrace

World Cup 2002 - If only we could of beat fucking Sweden

Euro 2004 - Amazing till Rooney got injured.

Since then we have been a poor team pretty much, very few inspiring displays and awful at tournaments, even if we got there.

I really think Euro 2004 was our best chance to win something.
yeah and what
Andy Gray

Postby Phil Collins » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:40 am

I blame safe hands Seaman more than being bollockless against the Swedes who have long been a bogey side for England.
Phil Collins
Wait & Bleed

Postby simonhatton » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:43 am

it would be great to see a smaller team 'do a greece'. would love ireland to do it, but i dont think you can look beyond germany/holland/spain. havng said that the dutch have had great teams in the last 10-15 years and haven't won shit. granted they got to the world cup final though.

players like bergkamp/kluivert/overmars/seedorf etc were all world beaters and deserved to win more. looking at there squad it's as good as any individually, but there defence seems a bit week to me, they heitinga in there who when i saw him last season was absolute toss, but then i only saw him in a handful of games. germany v holland final would be awesome to watch.

also aside from my twopence, i work in a bar that is not renowned for sports but we are showing the euro's, i want to make it a bit novel, and interesting, anyone got any good idea's to make it a bit more 'fun' etc. for example, one idea i had was to use a mic and have customers doing the commentary as a competition so during the game someone would commentate until they get booed off, write their time down, whoever lasts the longest wins a priza (pint of beer/free meal etc...) i might just do it during itv matches to drown out the drivel they come out with.
simonhatton
Opium of the People

Postby dan1306 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:06 am

Heitinga got evertons player of the season
dan1306
Iowa

Postby Shoddyrob » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:07 am

Even if England had finished above Sweden in 2002 they'd still have had to play Brazil in the semi finals

Ireland are the very last time I'd want to win it. Ideally they'll get hammered 4-0, no 'brave Irish' shit, just hammered every game and straight home. Unlikely though, they'll probably manage a couple of 0-0s at least

Holland look so unbalanced, the defence looks toss. They've had so many great squads over the years, it's ridiculous that they've only ever won one European Championship and no World Cups. At the time I'll have been glad Brazil beat them at France 98 as I loved Ronaldo but on reflection, knowing what happened in the final with Ronaldo's fit, I wish Holland had won that semi final. They were a better team than France in that tournament so could definitely have won the final

I can't decide whether I think Spain or Germany will win it
Shoddyrob
Yordan Letchkov

Postby yeah and what » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:14 am

Shoddyrob wrote:Even if England had finished above Sweden in 2002 they'd still have had to play Brazil in the semi finals

Ireland are the very last time I'd want to win it. Ideally they'll get hammered 4-0, no 'brave Irish' shit, just hammered every game and straight home. Unlikely though, they'll probably manage a couple of 0-0s at least

Holland look so unbalanced, the defence looks toss. They've had so many great squads over the years, it's ridiculous that they've only ever won one European Championship and no World Cups. At the time I'll have been glad Brazil beat them at France 98 as I loved Ronaldo but on reflection, knowing what happened in the final with Ronaldo's fit, I wish Holland had won that semi final. They were a better team than France in that tournament so could definitely have won the final

I can't decide whether I think Spain or Germany will win it

I mentioned Sweden because I thought England played well against Brazil, maybe they would of scored another way but Seamen may not have fucked up in the semi final also. It was a close game, we may have done it. Having said that, all we would of done is end up against the fucking Germans in the final, still, a semi final would be success for England to be honest I think.

Like I said though, I don't see WC 2002 as the major missed opportunity on winning something, I see Euro 2004 as that (along with 1996 obviously), as I'm sure quite a few countries do though.
yeah and what
Andy Gray

Postby Shoddyrob » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:28 am

Yeah, it certainly would've been better to avoid Brazil for as long as possible so beating Sweden would've been better regardless. Well, assuming England would've beaten Senegal and then Turkey anyway, which they'd have been favourites to do

I wish the Czech Republic had won Euro 2004, I struggle to remember a lot of that tournament and I think I missed a fair bit of it because I was working evenings at the time and was at Glastonbury for five days of it but from what I saw the Czechs were the best team there and Nedved going off injured in the semi final against Greece killed them. The only England game I properly remember from that tournament is the loss to France, I've got no recollection of the Switzerland and Croatia games and I only saw some of the Portugal game and I was completely hammered at the time so it's pretty vague
Shoddyrob
Yordan Letchkov

Postby wghennessy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:58 am

Im going for France for the Euros, on rediculously good form and look decent throughout the team.
wghennessy

Postby -Steve- » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 pm

grant holt ‏@holty30

I have loved my 3 years at the club and it sadness me to right this but want use to here it from me first. #lovedmytime
-Steve-
Spit It Out

Postby wghennessy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:33 pm

Is he going back to school ?
wghennessy

Postby Duncan » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:39 pm

I thought he was English?
Duncan
(Sic)

Postby Danph » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:34 pm

we've got one spot spare in our fantasy draft euro league, does anyone want in? you'd have to be free on wednesday evening to do the draft. we might have another two spots spare if the last two people to reply can't make it. reply in the fantasy draft league thread please.
Danph
The Heretic Anthem

Postby jonny » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Duncan wrote:I thought he was English?

He's Cumbrian.
jonny
Eyeless

Postby <3 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:13 pm

Pre-cambrian.
<3
Post-Brookerian Common Denominator Wanker

Last.FM: limp9
Twitter: kieran_delaney

Postby Chris » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:14 pm

I was just having a look at the possible Belgian squad for the weekend but didn't realise quite how strong the first team could be. They've got players like Mignolet, Kompany, Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Van Buyten, Hazard, Nainggolan, Fellaini, De Bruyne, Dembele and Witsel. That's mad considering what our first team currently is.
Chris
Iowa

Postby loopylou74 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:16 pm

The Belgium squad is really really good. I quite like them but they don't seem to play that great as a team. I know it's only a friendly but I reckon they'll beat England tomorrow.

Let's see what this Hazard boy can do.
loopylou74
Vermillion

Postby Wilcox » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:46 pm

I was at that Brazil game in 2002, 37 degree heat and two ginger Mancs in midfield...
Wilcox
All Hope Is Gone

My Band: Workers' Party of Korea

Postby Wrecktheplacefantastic » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:21 pm

I'm tipping Germany to win, but I'm basing that on the individuals they have over how they play as a team, as I haven't really seen much of Germany since the World Cup, though I'm aware they smashed the hell out of their qualifying group. The options they have in midfield are ridiculous though. The young players really looked promising at the World Cup, and they've all come a long way for their clubs since then. They look incredibly strong and balanced all over the squad.

Spain are Spain though, and will have a good chance of picking apart just about anyone. No David Villa though which is huge. I really don't want Spain to win it, but I want to see all the best players available. He's an incredibly clinical finisher, and I don't think Spain currently have a player of his calibre, unless Torres decides to turn up. Hopefully Llorente will get plenty of game time. I hope he gets the nod over Torres.
Wrecktheplacefantastic

Postby Graham. » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:27 pm

Wilcox, I hate how many major tournaments you've been to. Brazil 2014 is 90% definitely happening for me regardless of who qualifies.
Graham.
Surfacing

Postby Graham. » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:31 pm

Im tentatively tipping Russia as my outside bet. Good strikers, solid defence and all the players in their prime. They are also in the weakest group.
Graham.
Surfacing

Postby Phil Collins » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:20 pm

There's no way Llorente is going to get much time if Torres is fit, Del Bosque sticks by him almost always.

I have a feeling Croatia might turn up, I wouldn't hold onto much hope of Italy doing anything.
Phil Collins
Wait & Bleed

Postby Wilcox » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:14 am

Graham. wrote:Wilcox, I hate how many major tournaments you've been to. Brazil 2014 is 90% definitely happening for me regardless of who qualifies.

This is the first tournament my parents have missed since Euro 88.
Wilcox
All Hope Is Gone

My Band: Workers' Party of Korea

Postby Graham. » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:17 am

Were they Ireland fans at USA 94?
Graham.
Surfacing

Postby Shoddyrob » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:48 am

Wrecktheplacefantastic wrote:I'm tipping Germany to win, but I'm basing that on the individuals they have over how they play as a team, as I haven't really seen much of Germany since the World Cup, though I'm aware they smashed the hell out of their qualifying group. The options they have in midfield are ridiculous though. The young players really looked promising at the World Cup, and they've all come a long way for their clubs since then. They look incredibly strong and balanced all over the squad.

Spain are Spain though, and will have a good chance of picking apart just about anyone. No David Villa though which is huge. I really don't want Spain to win it, but I want to see all the best players available. He's an incredibly clinical finisher, and I don't think Spain currently have a player of his calibre, unless Torres decides to turn up. Hopefully Llorente will get plenty of game time. I hope he gets the nod over Torres.

Germany have got a great squad, Spain might well be fatigued and Villa and Puyol are big losses so I wouldn't be at all surprised if Germany win it but I still think Spain's squad, and specifically the midfield, is stronger on paper. I keep reading that Germany's looks the best but I'm struggling to think if there's ever been a better collection of midfielders in an international squad than Alonso, Silva, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Fabregas, Cazorla, Navas, Mata and Pedro (if you count him as a midfielder), it's definitely the best at this tournament as far as I'm concerned
Shoddyrob
Yordan Letchkov

Next

Return to Sports